Skip to content

Cash & Coe

It's the season for light and quaffable summer ales so today I decided to hit the American and Australian fruity hops and brew up a light APA.


I made up a 1.5 litre starter with the intention of keeping behind 500ml for the next re-use and pitching a litre into the brew. It went in the brew-fridge on my stir plate last night at 20C. 12 hours later we appear to have passed high krausen during the night if the trub marks are anything to go by.

Brew day

Recipe: Cash & Coe
Date: 7 June 2020
Batch Size (fermenter): 24.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 7.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Finished water profile: Ca:52, Mg:8, Na:9, SO4:72, Cl:57

Amt              Name                                  Type         %/IBU    
29.53 L          Tesco Ashbeck                         Water        -        
2.10 ml          Lactic Acid (Mash)                    Water Agent  -        
1.70 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)               Water Agent  -        
1.70 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)       Water Agent  -        
1.50 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)             Water Agent  -        

0.40 g           Calcium Chloride (Sparge)             Water Agent  -        
0.40 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Sparge)     Water Agent  -        
0.30 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Sparge)           Water Agent  -        
0.20 ml          Lactic Acid (Sparge)                  Water Agent  -        

3.69 kg          Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner (4.0 EBC)  Grain        85.0 %   
0.43 kg          IREKS Munich Malt (20.0 EBC)          Grain        10.0 %   
0.22 kg          IREKS Crystal Maple (3.5 EBC)         Grain        5.0 %    

10.00 g          Simcoe [11.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min      Hop          6.8 IBUs 
18.00 g          Cashmere [7.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min     Hop          5.4 IBUs 
18.00 g          Galaxy [15.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min      Hop          11.9 IBUs
18.00 g          Simcoe [11.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min      Hop          8.9 IBUs 
1.00 Items       Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 7.0 mins)      Fining       -        
22.00 g          Cashmere [7.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min      Hop          1.5 IBUs 
22.00 g          Galaxy [15.60 %] - Boil 2.0 min       Hop          3.4 IBUs 
22.00 g          Simcoe [11.70 %] - Boil 2.0 min       Hop          2.5 IBUs 

1.0 pkg          Barbarian (Imperial Yeast #A04)       Yeast        -        

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.34 kg
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 24.53 L of water at 70.2 C          67.0 C        60 min        

Sparge: Dunk sparge with 5 L of water at 75 C

Brew day went as smoothly as usual. My pre-boil gravity came in a little higher than expected so I liquored back with 700ml of Ashbeck for the boil as I want this one to finish at 4.0% - 4.2% ABV to keep it on the easy drinking side. The wort smelled amazing during the last few minutes of the boil with all those hops in there.

I chilled with the immersion chiller to 24.5C before giving up and transferring the 24 litres of 1.042 wort to the fermenter. The brew fridge can take it down to 20C when I'll pitch the Imperial A04 Barbarian yeast starter.


I had a quick check the morning after pitching the yeast and the jam jar housing the blow-off-tube is bubbling away quite rapidly so my inline keg-purging system is working as expected.

I've now brewed with all of the liquid Vermont strains: The Yeast Bay Vermont, Omega OYL-052 and Imperial A04 and I'm finding it hard to believe that they're all from the same source. TYB and Omega are very similar so possibly they're the same but this Imperial yeast just seems different - much more like Wyeast 1318 than the other two Vermonts. My IPA actually has a similar character to it that I get from Shepherd Neame cask ale (our local is SN). If someone handed me a pint of it and told me it was SN I'd have no problem believing it.


The plan was to keg this after 2 weeks but it still seemed to be bubbling about once every 30 seconds through the blow-off tube so I gave it an extra week. This Barbarian A04 yeast does seem to take ages to fully flocculate so maybe that's why it needs a little longer.

FG was 1.009 which gives a nice and easy drinking 4.3%. This was the first of mine to be kegged in a CO2 purged keg. To transfer I just cracked the keg lid, inserted the hose attached to the fermenter valve and opened up. The steadily rising beer level pushed out the CO2 and I sealed up as soon as it came within a few millimetres of the gas-in pipe. Kwik Clear finings were added to the keg and I had enough left over for 3 bottles.

The keg was purged (again) with 5x15psi bursts and it's now sitting at 12psi to slowly carbonate and condition for a couple of weeks. The sample jar tasted really good and hoppy and I'm hoping the extra effort to keep oxygen away during transfer will pay off in the form of longer-lasting hop flavours.

Tasting notes

Looking back at my notes in Beersmith I noted that it tastes like a typical APA with grapefruit from the Simcoe and tropical melon from the Cashmere & Galaxy. I also noted that this one took longer than usual to clear in the keg. I finished by saying that I'd do it again but with a different version of the Vermont strain. A year later and with hindsight I would now use WLP4000.